Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Downtown's Uptown- Comedy Club Review/Trippin' on Tuesdays

Ehehheeee...giggle, giggle snort!

I needed to laugh. I'm told by various people that I need to loosen up because I tend to be nunish in my demeanor at times....aight damn-it so I loosened up the belt (not only cause of the slight weight gain) and put on my best heels to step out on a Tuesday night. Grand Hustle Entertainment and Rubicon Entertainment presents Trippin' on Tuesdays hosted by LiL Duval (yes he's little but dude stands tall) on this unlikely night for clubin'. Unlikely so I thought...cuz the club was packed and everybody was lookin' good! Folks came out and filled the seats dressed up like it was the re-opening of Atlanta's Visions with special guest JayZ performing. Anyway besides the house being full with us commoners from floor to balcony, the lovely Magic City "dancers" sat in the front row and Atlanta's favorite rapper TI and his wifie (uh do people still say that??) Tiny looking really good together, came and chilled in VIP. They were both very friendly, cool and make it seem aight to have RIDICULOUS money but not ALWAYS have to floss and bling. Last night the famous couple was refreshingly very un-Hollywood. I don't know if that is what he goes for (probably mostly not if you listen to his music and all the things he has that only steep money can buy) but I'm all for rich normalcy. I like that.

During my hour plus time at the club (we- me and my entourage, lol- got there a little after 11 p.m.) I witnessed 5 commedians (not including LiL Duval), one a regular on BET's Comic View, another from my native of Chicago (yeaaaaaaaaaah!), yet another a Yung Joc looking reject, the fourth who got booed the hell off the stage and chumped off by a chic and the last (who actually spoke first) who was in love with his Corona. Besides the poor sap who got apolloed off the stage, all the dudes were pretty freakin' funny yo. I've seen good and bad
reviews about this club, but I'm all about self experience before I make an informed opinion. So I am going to give you some high lights and low lights:

Highlights
1. Nice decor and color
2. LiL Duval is an excellent comedic host
3. You might see a celeb
4. Decent line up of comedians
5. Good prices for food and drinks
6. Lively crowd (lots of electricity in the auidience)

Lowlights
1. Could be a little more spacious
2. Hard to find parking (or paid parking so bring your wallet)
3. I didn't see it but there was a roach spotted by one of the guests, damn!
4. Late start (but that's normal for clubs/parties/hell for life)
5. Lively crowd (dang some folk would not stop loud talking during the show!)

Not just because of the numbers, but because I laughed so hard and truly had a chill time, I'd say the good outweighs the bad at Uptown Comedy Club. If you are looking for a hot spot to frequent early in the week (or on the weekend) go get a drink and some jokes at this club. It's worth being tired the next day at work for.

Uptown Comedy Club
800 Marietta St.
Atlanta, GA 30318
Phone: (404) 881-0200
Fax: (404) 881-6170

The Maven

http://www.findentertainmentnow.com/

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like the spot to be at!! I have heard about uptown comedy club but I did not know things were poppin like that yo! I will have to check that out! Great Review Maven, Keep talking yo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the Uptown...I don't know where the hate comes from but I must say...to each his/her own homies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup it was way too loud when I went. But the comedians were funny and the food got there very fast. I'd go again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sucked! Didn't like the vibe. No more for me man. Me and my girl got joked on and the dude wasn't funny. Hell no.

    ReplyDelete

That's what I have to say. So what do YOU think? I thrive on conversation and insight. Agree or disagree or digress and leave a comment and express thyself..