Monday, August 27, 2007

Mike Vick has found Jesus (NOT pronounced HEYSUES!)


Look at that picture! It's like Magic! Dang I know fans are sure gonna miss that! Anyway here's the skinny of the juice. First of all straight from the mouth of Falcon's owner Arthur Blank, Vick gets to keep his job in the Atlanta Falcons once he's done serving his time! Great news for vick, the team and fans. The big event today is that Mike Vick is completely admitting to all things wrong in the infamous or famous actually dog abuse/racketeering case. Earlier this morning at the Omni Hotel in Richmond, VA he released a statement and apology. So does he deserve the fan's forgiveness and trust again? After all he is prone to mistakes just like anybody else. Hmmmm...we'll this is quote for quote what he had to say: "For most of my life, I've been a football player, not a public speaker. So, I really don't know how to say what I really want to say. I understand it's not important as far as what you say, but how you say things. So, I take this opportunity just to speak from the heart. First I want to apologize for all the things that I've done and that I've allowed to happen. I want to personally apologize to Commissioner Goodell, Arthur Blank, Coach Bobby Petrino and my Atlanta Falcon teammates for our previous discussions we had. I was not honest and forthright with those previous discussions. I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature so that means I need to grow up. I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to better Michael Vick the person, not the football player. I take full responsibility for my actions. Not for one second would I sit right her and point the finger and try to blame anybody else for my actions or what I've done. I'm totally responsible. Those things did not have to happen. I feel like we all make mistakes. Just I made a mistake in using bad judgment and making bad decisions and those things just can't happen. Dogfighting is a terrible thing and I didn't reject it. I'm upset with myself and through this situation I found Jesus and asked him for forgiveness and I just turned my life over to God. I think that's the right thing to do as of right now. Like I said, for this entire situation I never pointed the finger at anybody else. I accepted responsibility for my actions and what I did. And now I have to pay the consequences for it. But, in a sense, I think it'll help me out a lot as a person. I got a lot to think about in the next year or so. I offer my deepest apologies to everybody out there in the world who was affected by this whole situation. If I'm more disappointed in myself than anything it's because of all the young people, young kids that I let down, who look at Michael Vick as a role model. I have to go through this and put myself in this situation. I hope that every young kid in the world watching this interview right now who's been following the case would use me as an example to use better judgment and make better decisions. Once again, I offer my deepest apologies to everyone. I will redeem myself. I have to. I got a lot of down time, time to think about my actions and what I've done. And how to make Michael Vick a better person. Thank you."

Soooooo...do you still want to be like Mike?


Well that aside. It seems truly heartfelt as he stated in the beginning. Whether it is or not, he said what he said, did what he did and will have to pay some sort of price for it. But if you noticed he didn't clearly say that he personally used the dogs for fighting, but that he did not deny the dog fighting. Interesting. It seems he is admitting to being wrong for just knowing of it and not doing anything about it. I like the way that he is considering the kids who look up to him out there. I am sick and tired of hearing athletes and musicians in the media saying, "I am not a role model" because they don't want responsibility. I agree that it should not have to automatically be that way but sometimes it is what it is and kids DO look up to these larger than life celebrity personas instead of or along with their parents and siblings. Mom and Dad may not be able to run a play like Vick, Rap with lyrics as hot a Jay or appear in cool movies like Jessica Alba. That does not mean that these celebs in the spot life have to be squeaky clean but when they do stub their toe and make a big or unethical mistake it's best to take responsibility. It seems to be a price you pay being in the media and making big money unfortunatly. But taking ownership for bad actions and choices teaches people something. Integrity in life is key and people can forgive easier and rebuild trust when you just admit wrongs. Does it count to take responsibility and apologize when you are clearly caught and backed into a corner first? YES! I say this because I know people out there TODAY who even when caught with their hands in the cookie jar of pants down in front of the prostitute still say, "It's not my fault, it's all your fault or how my father raised me, or lack of father raising me!", or "It wasn't me...that was somebody else!" I respect his humility. It is not easy to hold your head down and admit that you are wrong. What me Wrong...no no no people you must be sadly misinformed! Ha! My prayers go out to Vick.


P.S. Tune into Kiss 104.1 an Atlanta radio news and music station tomorrow to hear Mike Vick speak to popular radio DJ Tom Joyner.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Vick! Glad he took responsibility. Yall know the Falcons actually WON the game on Monday...without Vick! Dang, there might be hope. But don't hope to much yet. Lol!

    ReplyDelete

That's what I have to say. So what do YOU think? I thrive on conversation and insight. Agree or disagree or digress and leave a comment and express thyself..