Monday, August 13, 2007

The Rushed Hour (and a half!)- New Movie Review



Rush Hour 3 starts off funny & ends corny. But is very likeable.

The movie takes place in France. The imagery is beautiful and made me want to make use of my two years of French language education and go there! I'm sure NOT ALL France is beautiful (just like any other country) but the film still did a great job of conveying a message of exciting interlude and lovely mystique. Chris Tucker is still hilarious, even though now it is evident that he is a true grown up. That manishness they he was not trying to convey but could not help but to be displayed on screen took a bit away from his vibrant boyish charm that we rely on and he is typecast in all of his characters. I had the slight feeling he'd lost some of his funny appeal with his age and slight weight gain but not enough to ever make those wide google eyes not allow an eruption of laughter from the pits of the belly! He's still over lustful, nuts, kinda dumb, slightly shallow & since he's on the big screen we decide he's a man that we love to love. Jackie Chan of course is adorable with his forgivable broken English & amazing trained fighting. Knowing that he did his own stunts made the movie more exciting to me. Some of the acting was dull or questionable such as the girl who played the daughter of the man under main attack (don't hate me, it's true). I mean look no doubt she did play the whole damsel in distress bit up to a perfect T but that was all she did. There was no meat to her weeping and wailing and it looked like...well acting. But alas maybe that is all they wanted from her in the movie. Her role was not to be developed or remembered too heavy for the good acting that didn't look like acting if you catch my drift. I also kept thinking that she was gonna get with Chan's character but no...and I think that's a good thing. It would have sorta ruined the movie by bringing it out of focus and taking it into another direction which is clear that the film makers or (Bret Ratner, the director) didn't want to do or have the time or budget to do so he kept it so he kept it simple with a few new twists but kinda the same exact playout and theme, yet with enough laughs, drama, and fighting mixture for fans to enjoy and recommend to others! No wheel was reinvented now was that the goal obviously. Rush Hour will sell because of its history. He knows that Rush Hour 3 will sell because of its history if nothing else.

To elaborate on the romance factor...no one hooked up with "the girl" in this one (well it was attempted by Tucker at first) so that was different, kinda disappointing, a little confusing & even rather phony but ahhh refreshing! I was mainly saddened by the movie being too short at an hour and a half! I felt the movie could have developed further and more realistically had they given it a few more scenes (not cut on the production floor) or let the story develop deeper so it was more real. It was typical, and they did what they could with an hour and some change which was better than good enough! Not heavy enough to be a solid dinner but more than your mid day snack.

I heard both good and bad about the movie before I saw it. So I both expected alot and at the same time didn't....I'm happy to say that overall I'm pleased. I give it a strong 7.5 on a 1-10 scale. I end by saying that Rush Hour 3 is a full of action flick worth the time and money!

Have you seen this movie yet? Respond to this post and tell me what you thought of the movie or what I had to say and check out what the other critics out there have to say.

The Maven

5 comments:

  1. This movie was funny as hell!! I thought to myself Chris Tucker is dumb in real life, seriously!! I must agree with you that the ending was corney and to me the plot was a little weak. But oh my gosh when he took off old girls wig, I thought that was the funniest ever!! I will have to say it is definitely not a waste of time nor money!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will go see this movie now! I heard everybody likes it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't agree with yall that it was corny at all. What do you expect from Rush Hour? I was laughing the whole time and got what I thought I was. The acting was straight. Good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody is wrong. This movie pretty much bombed and I don't care what anyone else says. Yes I'm hatin' today. Boooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed the whole movie! Chris Tucker did gain some weight true but he's still crazy hilarious! Not as funny as 1 and 2 but a winner. My friends loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

That's what I have to say. So what do YOU think? I thrive on conversation and insight. Agree or disagree or digress and leave a comment and express thyself..