Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Heineken's Red Star Soul Concert, featuring Common: A Tuesday Night Affair

Common in 2007's Red Star Soul L.A. concert event
Upon the year Heineken does a Red Star Soul Concert series in several cities for the end of summer/fall seasons. This concert presents neo soul type musicians along with awards. The Heineken Independent Achievers Award is presented at this invite only event, which recognizes individuals who exemplify the virtues of integrity, drive and achievement and who are making a positive impact in their community. This year's recipients were chosen to receive the award by a handpicked selection committee of industry leaders. Recipients of the Heineken Independent Achiever Award will accept their honor in the eight host cities of Heineken Red Star Soul concerts: Los Angeles, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City.The Los Angeles event was held at Boulevard3 with performances by Common, Raheem DeVaughn and DJ Jazzy Jeff amongst others.


I got a chance to attend the concert in Atlanta last night held at Opera (the old Club 1150 on Peachtree St. and Crescent Blvd.). Opera is a spectacular venue with magnificent lights, chandeliers, gaudy decorations and a large yet intimate stage for performances. Back when it was Club 1150 I had a chance to see Big Boi, Sleepy Brown, Janelle Mone (total black rock diva signed to Purple Ribbon), Silk (remember them? "Freak Me"), Khao (Rapper/killa Producer) & others grace the stage on different nights.

The headline act for the night was Common with DJ Jazzy Jeff spinning on the one's and two's front and center. Common just released his latest album August this summer, Finding Forever. I LOVE Common dearly because he's real, he's true soul, he represents real music, he doesn't embarrass women in his songs and OMG he's sooooo fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine...one mo gin...fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine MMMMM! Wooo...anyway before Common performed several other smaller acts paved the way as a gateway to introducing themselves bigger onto the scene while preparing the platform for our man of the night! Opera then clubed it up a bit with hits from the 80's and 90's featuring Prince and Micheal Jackson along with some other hot old school hits. The bustling crowd went wild. Yes it did bustle bcz two dumb dudes almost had a fight. By the time the bald light skinned Adonis came and blessed us with his presence we were all tense with a burdening anticipation. And he did not disappoint...Common did his thang! He moved across that stage with an unbridled energy and rapped like the master of his craft only could giving us samples of such tunes as: Benitta Applebom, Love of my life , Testify and Go, etc. I really wanted him to perform Come Close (my fave!) but they at least played the remix version on V103 earlier that day while Common Sense visited the radio station during his sit down and promo with radio personality Ryan Cameron. During Common's stage romp he graciously gave shout outs to other rap legends in the game who give real music like: Mos Def, Jay-Z, T.I. (who actually was in the house for the concert but did not perform), Kanye West, and Talib Kweli. I agree, those are all artists that I respect tremendously. See Common my love, we even think alike!


I was saddened however that Common wasn't on stage long enough (of course), didn't perform any new tracks from his most current album (which hit number one on the charts, first time ever for the artist) and that everything was over before 11 p.m. We were told by the host, "You don't have to end the party but you have to get outta here!" Dang. The after party continued at The Underground Atlanta's Sugar Hill club.


Last year's Red Star Soul concert headliners included such talents as: Angie Stone, Lyfe Jennings, Raphael Saadiq, Amel Larrieux, Floetry, Raheem DeVaughn and Bilal.


I went to my first Heineken Red Star Soul concert by myself last year in Atlanta. The performance was held at Center Stage (the old Earthlink Live) (West Peachtree St.)Atlanta, GA on November 8th. A friend and I knew someone who worked for The top urban radio station in Atlanta v103 as an account exec so she gave us a couple of passes. I did say I went alone right...well what happened was my friend had some complications and was not able to attend so not to be defeated, alone I went. But even though I flew solo (It was like pulling teeth to get anyone to attend so last minute on a weekday night), I had a blast and met some cool people, got 2 cases of free beer which I kept giving away bcz I had to take a train back and it was heavy (can you guess which kind??) and was so close to the stage that I could feel the sweet sweat of Raheem DeVaughn mist upon my brow as I sat like a goo goo groupie (so ashamed) and listened to him sing and gyrate across the stage. That man gave a real show damn-it!


This is who was supposed to be featured last year at the Atlanta event: Donnell Jones, Shareefa, Raheem DeVaughn, Chrisette Michele and Politicks Music industry icons Kenny Burns, Trinidad Mann and Jenine Simone will each host selected shows during Heineken Red Star Soul. Burns, a former Vice President of Roc-A-Fella Records and Co-founder of men's fashion line RyanKenny.


I can tell you that Shareefa did not show, and Mr. Donnell Jones (who is my other secret baby daddy with that wonderful voice of his) last minute canned his appearance onstage. Rumor had it that he felt very B list celebrity after Raheem DeVaughn got on stage and blew it apart. Many people left after DeVauhn's performance even though Donnell ("You know that I love you") was supposed to be the last and main act of the night. Who knows...but i was dismayed. Still I must be honest and say last years concert here in Atlanta had a better feel to it...it was just a better more intimate show overall. Opera is small enough where it does not swallow you and I still felt close enough to the stage to see Common (even though some girl tripped that I was in her way...like she owned the freaking club carpet we stood on...I told her to back off and had to pray not to step on her feet on purpose) and even had good company this time so i was not alone but nothing beats last years concert extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's what I have to say. So what do YOU think? I thrive on conversation and insight. Agree or disagree or digress and leave a comment and express thyself..